This shop, Hoot Owl Craft DIY Centerpiece For Autumn, has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CoffeeCreamerCombos #CollectiveBias
Hoo’s ready for Fall? I am, that is for sure, and I am so excited to share with you one of the ways I celebrate this amazing season — Coffee with friends and fun decor like my Hoot Owl Craft Centerpiece.
Hoot Owl Centerpiece
A Fun and Easy DIY Craft for Autumn
Fall is such a wonderful time of year. I love the rich colors, the crunch of leaves beneath my feet, pumpkins, the cooler weather, and holidays denoting autumn. Here in Southern California, I don’t get much of the traditional fall, so I have to create my own glorious autumn atmosphere with fun decor and tasty holiday flavors.
I love have friends over for coffee, and it is so fun to offer them a variety of holiday flavored coffees and creamers. One of my new favorites is the Dunkin’ Donuts Caramel Coffee Cake from their Bakery Series with the International Delight Pumpkin Spice creamer. Ooh, yummy! It’s like a pumpkin caramel latte…so good.
Several years ago, I saw a really cute craft in a magazine, making hoot owls using cardboard tubes and cupcake liners. So, I thought I would put together an adorable centerpiece using this idea.
Hoot Owl Centerpiece
For crafting the Owls —
- Cupcake Liners – (I used regular and mini sized liners.)
- Cardboard Tubes – (Paper towel and toilet paper tubes work great.)
- Paper – (cardstock or construction paper – I used yellow and white cardstock.)
- Glue – (glue stick or regular glue)
- Hot Glue Gun with Hot Glue Sticks
- Markers – ( I used black and orange.)
- 1 – Quarter
- 1 – Nickle
For making the Centerpiece —
- 1 – Terra Cotta Pot
- 1 bag – Marble Stones
- Fall Decor Sticks (optional)
For the Owls:
- Cut the Cardboard Tube to the height you want.
- Fold the top of the tube so the flaps meet in the middle. This will create a swoop, forming the top of the head and ears of the owl.
- Cut the Cupcake Liners into quarters, and trim off the flat part of the liner (what would be the bottom of the liner).
- Make your owl eyes. Using the yellow paper, trace around a quarter with your pencil making six circles. Then, do the same with a nickle on the white paper. Cut the circles out, just to the inside of the pencil line.
- Using your black marker, color in the center of the white circles, leaving a slight white mark somewhere in the black, so the owl’s eye will shine. You will have three owls, so create three PAIRS of eyes.
- Use the glue stick or tacky glue to adhere the whites of the eyes to the yellow circles. Let dry.
- Starting at the bottom of the tub and work your way toward the owl’s head, add one quarter piece of regular size cupcake liner at a time. Hot Glue the underside of the flat edge and stick it to the tube. Overlap the layers. I started on the front sides, and then placed a cupcake liner of the center area. You will also do the back side bottom of the tube.
- On the front, I tucked in a row of my mini cupcake liners; and then, topped that with a row of my metallic mini cupcake liners.
- Fold two regular size cupcake liners in half, do not cut. These will be the wings for the hoot owl.
- Hold the wings on the back, checking to be sure they are where you want them, and mark the cardboard tube with a pencil to denote wing location.
- Add quartered cupcake liners to the back to cover where the wings will not.
- Hot Glue eyes to the front of the owl. The tops of the eyes should stick up slightly above the cardboard tube, but not above the ears.
- Cut small long triangles out of the yellow paper and color them orange with your marker. This is the hoot owl’s beak.
- Hot Glue the beak on the lower center of the eyes.
- Hot glue the wings on the back side of the owl.
Voila! You’re finished making your owls. Now, it’s onto creating the centerpiece.
For the Centerpiece:
- Tie Ribbon around the top edge of a terra cotta pot.
- Fill the pot to almost full with marble stones.
- Stick twigs and branches into the marbles.
- Set hoot owls over the tops of twigs. You can give these a little glue if needed.
- Stick in your additional fall decor sticks if you have them.
Isn’t that an adorable autumn centerpiece?
Invite your friends over for coffee and show off your new Hoot Owl Craft centerpiece. Be sure to enhance the seasons atmosphere by serving up your Dunkin’ Donuts Caramel Coffee Cake coffee and International Delight Pumpkin Spice creamer. Rory really loves the Salted Caramel Mocha creamer from International Delight as well. And, the Land O’ Lakes Fat Free Half and Half is amazing–so many uses!
You can find all of these at Ralphs, or your local Kroger Banner store.
How would you mix and match your coffee and creamers? #CoffeeCreamerCombos
Share using our Hashtag!
Leave me a comment… I’d love to hear from you!
Sign up today, and don't miss anything! Enjoy EXCLUSIVES, FREEBIES, and FUN.
Contact Lorelai at Lorelai@LifeWithLorelai.com
23 thoughts on “Hoot Owl Craft – DIY Centerpiece For Autumn”
What a fun fall craft! Who knew you could make such cute owls using cupcake liners? I love having friends and family over for coffee and I’ll be sharing my favorite coffee combos next week. 🙂 The Salted Caramel Mocha is my favorite.
Cupcake liners, what fun, right? I can’t wait to see your coffee combos next week. The Frosted Sugar Cookie sounds wonderful too! 🙂
I love owls! This is so adorable… would never have thought to make owls like this. You’re so crafty! #client
This is a fun project, Carolyn! The owls really are adorable, and the holiday coffee and creamers got rave reviews from the girlfriends too! 🙂
beautiful! i almost think i can do this with your instructions. thank you!
What a clever and adorable idea. My daughter is an owl “nut”! I can’t wait to show this to her. 😉 Thanks for the fun inspiration! Have a lovely weekend. xo
What adorable little Hoots!! What a cleaver way you created them!! My daughter would love them in pastels…for the babies room…maybe make a mobile?! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday – Hope to see you again this week!! Have a great week!! Pinned!
What a wonderful craft. I love finding inspiration through magazines… that is why I try not to throw them away. I love how the centerpiece compliments the coffee area. It looks so inviting.
The cutest owl craft I have seen! Love the cupcake liners. Very creative. Coffee and conversation is a favorite thing at our house.
That is adorable! What a fun way to decorate the table or entry way – I love it! 🙂 #HomeMattersParty
I love anything to do with owls! HootHoot! Love the Owly craft you made~ It is so colorful! Thanks for sharing
It really is a fun centerpiece, and it was super easy to make! 🙂 I love the little cupcake liner owls too.
Hoot! Hoot! Such a cute DIY, Lorelai. Love it. #HomeMattersParty
One of my sons is obsessed with owls right now – I have got to get some cupcake liners to try and make one of these owls for him. What a creative idea! #HomeMattersParty
This is such an adorable centerpiece! I love owls! #HomeMattersParty
What a great centerpiece! So creative and fun. Now I want to make this and have friends over for coffee! #HomeMattersParty
I absolutely love this craft! I think owls are so cute and often overlooked in the Fall/Halloween time of year 😉 #homemattersparty
Wow Lorelai this project is adorable and so original. Love it. Pinning.
This is one of the most adorable owl crafts I have ever seen. And what a genius way to use cupcake liners! Stopping by from the #HomeMattersParty linky.
I love your owls, so cute and clever. It made for a beautiful centerpiece! 🙂
Thanks, Loni! The owls were fun to make too. 🙂