If you are looking for Halloween decor that gives a big fright with little bite then the Haunted Mirror is the DIY project for you — easy and eerie!
A Hauntingly Spooktacular Halloween DIY Decor
Today, I have something really fun for you. If you have hung around here for any time at all, you know that I love Halloween. So, I am thrilled to bring you this eerie craft idea for Halloween decor.
This DIY Halloween project is really very easy to create.
Haunted Mirror DIY
Here’s what you need:
- 1 Can – Krylon Looking Glass Silver Spray Paint
- 1 – 8″ x 10″ Picture Frame
- 1 – Image to fit an 8″ x 10″ Frame
How to Make the Haunted Mirror:
- Choose your Image
- Scan Image and create an Inverse Image
- Print out two copies – 1 Original Image, and 1 Inverse Image
- Take Glass out of picture frame. Clean Glass very well.
- Tape the Inverse Image to the front or outside of the glass (image side facing the glass). This allows you to see exactly where your image will be once it is in the frame, and will help you during the spray painting.
- Place glass image side down on your spraying surface. You can see the image through the glass.
- Shake Krylon spray paint vigorously
- Spray the entire glass with a fine mist of paint
- Then add more paint in small spurts, especially to the areas around your image. You want there to be enough paint to create a mirror, but with a lighter spraying of paint on top of the image so that it shows through.
- Let the paint dry for at least one hour
- Remove the Inverse image from the front of the glass and clean glass carefully.
- Place glass back into the frame–Glass side out, Painted side to the inside.
- Load the Original Image into the frame
Time for some Tips
- Clean the glass, then wipe it down with alcohol. Any fingerprints or oils will interfere with the paint sticking properly.
- Blushing: If you get blushing with your spray paint, don’t worry. The Krylon Looking Glass washes right off easily with a little soap and water. (What is Blushing? Blushing occurs when there is high humidity in the air. The moisture settles on the not cured paint and causes a milky whiteness or flat white look in the paint. This happened to me on my first attempt, because I did the spraying after the marine layer came in from the ocean–silly me.)
- Tips for your Image:
- Areas not showing up well – I had a large white area on my image over about half the face. So, I used colored pencil to draw it in better.
- White is showing up to bright – Again, this was the case for me, so I sprayed a light coating of the Looking Glass spray paint directly onto my image to tone it down. This worked great, and also gave the image another dimension.
- Be sure that you have enough paint around your image to make the glass really look like a mirror. That way your image will appear to be coming through the mirror–a very spooky effect. (You can clearly see the apple in the reflection.)
- So, just play around with it, until you reach your desired effect.
Being that this project is making a mirror, it is difficult to photograph (at least for me anyway). But I think I managed to get some pretty cool shots of the Haunted Mirror–take a look…
Notice the reflections in the mirror…
The reflection here is a hutch. It almost looks like the lady is pushing her way through the wood.
Look at her reaching for that apple–Who is the fairest of them all…
Imagine catching that face out of the corner of your eye…spine-chilling.
I hope you have enjoyed our little Haunted Mirror Halloween DIY project. We had a blast making this for you — now, make you own. Have a Hauntingly Spooktacular Halloween!.
Looking for more Halloween inspiration? Check out these post:
Halloween Mantel Decor Orange, Black, and Purple
Bewitched Halloween and DIY Trick-or-Treat Lantern
Check out and Follow my Halloween Crafts / Decor Pinterest Board
How do you like to decorate for Halloween?
Do you have any Halloween DIY projects planned?
Share using our Hashtag!
Leave me a comment… I’d love to hear from you!
Sign up today, and don't miss anything! Enjoy EXCLUSIVES, FREEBIES, and FUN.
Contact Lorelai at Lorelai@LifeWithLorelai.com
This is just entirely too freaky. Well done! I never would have thought about doing something like this. Brilliant!
[…] Lorelai brings us this spooky Haunted Mirror DIY Halloween Decor […]
Great post, Lorelai! I get so creeped out around Halloween — this mirror isn’t too scary! 😉
This is such a spooky cool Halloween decoration! I love how you set the apple out there, it looks like she’s really reaching for it! Stopping by from the #HomeMattersParty linky.
Such a cool and creepy idea for Halloween, Lorelai. #HomeMattersParty
This is brilliant! What a fun and spooky Halloween idea. #HomeMattersParty
Where did you purchase the frame? I am looking for a frame like that for a vintage decor.
Hi, Nigel, I picked up that frame at a local discount store. IT was perfect for my needs. Good luck. 🙂