Another great DIY project just in time for those Spring and Summer nights on the veranda, in the yard, or on the porch swing! Thank you, Michelle James, our Regular Contributor.
Discount Store Vases to Outdoor Lighting
An Easy DIY Project to Enhance Outdoor Living
Hi everyone! I love creating new outdoor lighting for my patio. Last year I created these hanging lights; so this year, I wanted something to go on my patio table. I headed to my favorite discount store and came up with this.
To make these super easy lights you need the following supplies:
- Vases from the discount store – you can choose from the shapes and sizes but make sure the solar light will rest on the top of the vase without falling in.
- Solar Lights – also from the discount store
- Oil based Sharpie Markers
How to Make the Outdoor Lights:
- You will need to remove the stake part of the solar light so you have just the light part.
- Now you will be decorating your vases using the oil based markers. I wanted to make some dandelions. I know they are weeds and I don’t like them in my yard but I do like them in décor. I have seen some really great pins that involve dandelions.
- I started with the green stem. I drew one long stem then on the opposite side of the vase I drew a shorter stem.
- Now make the lines to form the “flower” by starting at the top of the stem. Draw lines coming out from the top of the stem all the way around to create a circle of lines.
- After you have the lines done, use the tip of the pen and make a “dot” at the end of each line.
- Now add more “dots” inside the flower. I added them on lines all of the way around and down to the stem.
- Then create some fly away blooms by creating short line with a dot at the end. I had them fly up the vase so it looks like they are taking off into the air. So easy!
- Once you have your painting done you will need to cure it in the oven. Place them on a baking sheet and put them into a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 200 degrees. Let them bake for 1 hour then turn off the oven and let it cool. Then remove them. I did all of this in the evening so after I turned off the oven I just left them in until the next morning.
- If they need to be washed, they should be carefully hand washed.
I hope you liked these and will give them a try. I can’t wait for warmer days, when I can sit outside.
Have great day!
Until next time,
Visit Michelle at her blog, Michelle James Designs!
Do you have any fun lighting ideas?
How do you like to use your outdoor living spaces?
Share using our Hashtag!
Leave me a comment… I’d love to hear from you!
Sign up today, and don't miss anything! Enjoy EXCLUSIVES, FREEBIES, and FUN.
Contact Lorelai at Lorelai@LifeWithLorelai.com